Located on the Promenade des Anglais, the Monument du Centenaire stands facing the sea to commemorate the County of Nice's incorporation into France as well as the establishment of the Department of the Alpes Maritimes.
Designed in 1896, the Monument du Centenaire was given a prominent place at the heart of Nice, between the Promenade des Anglais and the Jardin Albert 1er. Perched atop a pyramidal base, a winged Victory, made entirely of bronze, stands proudly wrapped in a flag in the colours of France. She is represented taking an oath of loyalty as a reference to the motto of the City of Nice: "Nissa Fidelissima." Bearing the dates 1793 - 1893 and 1860, the monument commemorates the decree of the Convention promulgated on 4 February 1793 deciding to incorporate the County of Nice into France, as well as the establishment of the Department of the Alpes Maritimes.
Nowadays it fits perfectly into the landscape of Nice. Its central location at the entrance of the Théâtre de Verdure makes it a monument admired by all, especially during the events which take place there. Spectators can observe it in peace and quiet while patiently waiting to attend concerts, shows or festivals. The Monument du Centenaire de Nice has been a registered Historical Monument since 2009.