Entirely renovated since 2022, the Saint-Hospice chapel was built in the 11th century on the ruins of a sanctuary. It's listed as a Monument Historique (national heritage site) since 1929.
It owes its name to the Benedictine monk Hospitus who lived in one of its towers around 550 AD. In a state of total deprivation, he inflicted heavy punishment on himself to ensure he fully deserved his place in heaven.
Legend has it that when the Lombards invaded the coast (as the monk had already predicted), one of them tried to kill the hermit but his arm was suddenly paralysed. Overawed by his calmness of spirit, the Barbarians spared him his life. Many miraculous acts of healing have been attributed to him, including curing a deaf-mute person, a blind person and a woman possessed by demons.
The chapel was fully restored in the 17th century by Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy, who extended it and added an altar. The chapel was fully restored in the 17th century by Charles Emmanuel II, Duke of Savoy, who extended it and added an altar in the 18th Century. The porch dates from 1826. The chapel was previously an important pilgrimage site and housed up to 140 ex votos.
From 01/04 to 30/09, daily between 9 am and 5 pm.
From 01/10 to 31/03, daily between 9 am and 7.30 pm.