Built in the middle of the nineteenth century, this monument also called the Church of the Immaculate Conception, stands at the heart of Place Île de Beauté and dominates the port of Nice
In 1845, when it was almost finished, the monument collapsed and had to be completely rebuilt. Its majestic façade in the neoclassical style is mainly characterised by four columns which not many people know were added by architect Jules Febvre a few years later. Notre Dame du Port de Nice pays tribute to the Immaculate Conception, a statue of which stands atop it. On the front is the inscription MARIA SINE CONCEPTA O.P.N., which translates as Mary Immaculate Conception, pray for us capital letters. The church, as well as the entire Place Île de Beauté, have been registered as Historical Monuments since 1991.