With its location right in the heart of Old Nice, the history of the City Hall has been marked by its various functions housing municipal institutions from 1868.
Nice City Hall, as it currently is, has had many functions since its construction in 1730. First used as a diocesan seminary, it subsequently became a barracks, a prison, then a gendarmerie. For a time, it was even home to Saint Roch Hospital before it transferred to its current location. The city services, then located in the Château de Nice, then at the Palais Communal, moved in permanently in 1868.
Apart from the weddings which are celebrated there, it is impossible to visit it. But its location in Vieux Nice, near the restaurants and shops is a bonus for passers-by who can observe its beautiful neoclassical façade. At the heart of its main courtyard, visible from the outside, is a strange giant thumb. This is that of the sculptor César, which the artist himself enlarged to the extreme to make of it an original work. In addition to this symbolic location in the capital of the Côte d'Azur, around twenty similar creations are on display in the four corners of the world.