The Camp des Fourches is a high mountain military barracks built from 1888. It is a strategic tourist point on the road to the Col de la Bonette between the Alpes Maritimes and the Alpes de Haute Provence.
Until the end of the Second World War, it was used by the Alpine hunters on maneuvers. This structure, which was saved from complete ruin, was made safe and restored between 2016 and 2018.Access to the site, located at an altitude of 2280 m, was only possible, during the summer months, from Jausiers (Alpes-de-Haute-Provence) by a mule track 23 km long. The sector of Restefond was the scene of violent fighting during the Second World War in June 1940 and between June 1944 and April 1945. What remains today are the restored ruins that can be visited one by one. Ceramic plaques indicate the function of each building.